Answer: Our go-to resource for these kinds of questions comes from our colleagues at the National Network for Youth, in this document:

You can look up your state’s laws. Some states allow unaccompanied youth and/or youth of certain ages to request birth certificates on their own behalf. When the liaison starts working on this, we would suggest calling the appropriate office or if possible going to a physical office, with the youth. It is not uncommon for people processing these requests not to know the law and decline the application without further investigation. A phone call or office visit could help generate some awareness, and the opportunity to ensure the application is handled by someone who knows the law.

Read more Q&A from Our Inbox

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This