In early November, the Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) announced that the 2024-2025 FAFSA will open by December 31, 2023. This new FAFSA will have many changes, including the important provisions for homeless and foster youth. However, the delay from the usual October 1st release will shorten the amount of time students have to complete the FAFSA and to make an informed decision about choosing a college.
✍ Strategies to Stay Proactive and Support Students
Until the 2024-2025 FAFSA is available, we encourage our network to be proactive and stay up to date about the release date, continue to identify students experiencing homelessness and students in foster care, provide FAFSA determinations, and help students and parents create FSA IDs. Learn more about the strategies here.
💻 Join a Webinar on the FAFSA
Title: The 2024-2025 FAFSA: Helping Homeless and Foster Youth
Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2024
Time: 3:30 – 4:45 PM Eastern
The highly anticipated 2024-2025 FAFSA is scheduled to be released by December 31, 2023. This FAFSA contains many changes as a result of the FAFSA Simplification Act, including important new policies for homeless and foster youth. Webinar participants will learn how to help homeless and foster youth fill out the new 2024-2025 FAFSA; get tips for working with financial aid offices to support homeless and foster youth; and find out about how ARP-HCY funds can be used to support postsecondary access and transition. There will be ample time for questions and answers.
- Jillian Sitjar, Director of Higher Education Partnerships, SchoolHouse Connection
- Barbara Duffield, Executive Director, SchoolHouse Connection
- Jennifer Pokempner, Senior Policy Director, Youth Law Center
- Jasmine Miller, Staff Attorney, Youth Law Center
- Debbie Raucher, Director of Education, John Burton Advocates for Youth
- 2024-2025 FAFSA Delayed: What You Need to Know
- Sample Form Letters to Determine Independent Student Status of Unaccompanied Homeless Youth for the FAFSA
- Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Determination: A Template for Financial Aid Administrators
- Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Written Statement: A Template for Financial Aid Administrators
- Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Written Statement: A Template for Students
- Archived webinar “New Federal FAFSA Guidance for Homeless Youth”
View all of our FAFSA resources here.