WE ARE HIRING!
We are looking for professional, detail-oriented, and ambitious people, motivated by our mission, to join our results-oriented, hard-working team.
SchoolHouse Connection is seeking a Development Director to support SHC’s strategic development priorities and operating needs. This position is an opportunity to play a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly-respected organization by building a development infrastructure and implementing a comprehensive development strategy.
The Development Director will expand and diversify SHC’s donor base to secure funding for new and existing initiatives. The Director will identify specific fundraising goals and objectives, initiate and manage a donor tracking system, establish performance metrics and implement processes to track outcomes, and liaise with stakeholders as needed to ensure fundraising goals are met.
This is a full-time, salaried position with generous benefits. The Development Director will work remotely, as do all of SHC’s employees. However, regular in-person meetings in Washington, DC are required. For that reason, applicants living in, or willing to relocate to, the DC Metro area will be given preference. Applicants who do not live in the DC Metro Area will be required to travel to DC at least monthly when it is safe to do so.
SchoolHouse Connection is committed to developing a diverse and dynamic team and strongly encourages applications from people of color, people with disabilities, people with lived experience, and LGBTQ+ individuals.
The Development Director reports to the Executive Director, and will work closely with the Board of Directors, Senior Communications Manager, and other team members. The Development Director is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive strategy to secure financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations to ensure that fundraising targets are met;
- Coordinating with the Executive Director to identify foundations, establish contacts, draft proposals, and report to grant-makers;
- Executing a strategy to grow and maintain a significant sustained base of annual individual donors, including those who contribute through donor-advised funds;
- Working closely with the Executive Director to develop, cultivate, and maintain relationships with major donors and stakeholders;
- Assisting in the development and promotion of SHC’s consulting services and conferences;
- Assisting the Senior Communications Manager in developing and executing a marketing plan for the organization, including use of social media for development;
- Overseeing the maintenance and tracking of donor data, including data entry;
- Providing support to the Board of Directors through development coaching and solicitation resources;
- Training and guiding SHC team members in relation to fund development;
- Developing and managing fundraising campaigns, including online/mail appeals, gift processing and acknowledgements; and
- Ensuring all fundraising and development operations and business practices comply with government regulations and professional standards.
The Development Director must have a strong knowledge of non-profit fundraising, write persuasively, be organized to a fault, detail-oriented, persistent, and believe strongly in the work of our organization. A successful applicant must enjoy building relationships and be able to influence and engage a wide range of stakeholders. Other qualifications include:
- A minimum of seven years of experience in nonprofit development and fundraising, including proven track record of identifying, building, maintaining, and growing relationships with donors;
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding development and fundraising targets on schedule and within budget;
- Proven background and expertise in the acquisition and stewardship of grant funds, including identifying grant opportunities, authoring grant applications, and reporting on grant deliverables;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to compose and edit new material quickly;
- A high level of attention to detail, accuracy, and thoroughness;
- Knowledge of government compliance regarding nonprofit fundraising;
- Knowledge and understanding of fundraising technology and methods, including effective marketing methods and best practices;
- Availability during regular business hours and some evenings/weekends;
- Ability to travel as necessary, and when it is safe to do so, per public health guidelines;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing priorities, strategies, and circumstances;
- Demonstrated ability to handle a heavy workload, and achieve results, even in the face of obstacles, while displaying high standards of excellence and integrity; and
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to SHC’s mission and advocacy principles.
SchoolHouse Connection provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or veteran status. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
Salary and Benefits
Benefits: Flexible work schedule; generous holiday and vacation leave; health insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; small, collegial team; many opportunities to use skills, learn, and grow professionally.
To apply, please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Director”. We will accept applications until position is filled.
Three Materials to Submit
1. A current resume
2. In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please choose three of these four questions to answer:
- What makes you a strong applicant for this position? (150-250 words)
- Using examples from your own life, convince us that you are a persistent person. (150-250 words)
- Describe a time when you influenced and/or engaged a wide group of stakeholders. What was the circumstance? What did you do? What was the result? Thinking back, what did you learn from the experience? (150-250 words)
- Please take a look at our website. Do you support our vision and mission? If so, in what ways and why? ( 50 -250 words)
3. Three professional references
About SchoolHouse Connection
SHC is the nation’s leading expert on the early care and education of children and youth experiencing homelessness. We provide strategic advocacy and practical assistance in partnership with early childhood programs, schools, institutions of higher education, service providers, families, and youth. We have ushered to passage many critical federal and state policies and programs for children and youth experiencing homelessness, and provide extensive practical assistance to ensure that these policies lead to real outcomes.