Jobs at SchoolHouse Connection
SHC is the nation’s leading expert on the early care and education of children and youth experiencing homelessness. We provide strategic advocacy and practical assistance in partnership with early childhood programs, schools, institutions of higher education, service providers, families, and youth. We have assisted with passage of many critical policies and programs for children and youth experiencing homelessness, and provided extensive implementation assistance to ensure these policies lead to real outcomes.
SchoolHouse Connection, a fast-paced, results-oriented national nonprofit organization working to overcome homelessness through education, is seeking a Communications Associate to develop and execute communications activities to advance SHC’s policy, practical assistance, and organizational goals.
This is a full-time, salaried position with generous benefits and opportunities for advancement. The Communications Associate will work remotely, as do all of SHC’s employees.
SchoolHouse Connection is committed to developing a diverse and dynamic team and encourages applications from people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ individuals.
The Communications Associate will report to the Director of Communications and Marketing, and is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Support in execution of communications strategy
- Support in proactively identifying role of communications to amplify and support organization’s advocacy and narrative change efforts, and coordination with relevant SHC team members to do so
- Proactively identifying opportunities for earned media pitching
- Development of op-eds, Letters to the Editor, pitches, etc
- Maintain press room and track all media coverage
- Develop and maintain media lists for pitching
- Create and schedule content (graphics, videos, infographics) for SHC-owned social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Monitoring and responding to followers/audience
- Optimizing posts according to engagement/metrics
- Regular website updates and misc. troubleshooting
- Management of additional SHC-owned websites:
PUBLICATIONS AND GRASSROOTS COMMUNICATION
- Support development of Year-In-Review Report
- Miscellaneous support in formatting and putting together reports
- Development of graphics for social media, email marketing, and website
- Design of reports, powerpoints, flyers/posters, and resources
- Zoom registration and backend set-up for webinars
- Amplification of Zoom events, including:
- Creation of graphics
- E-blast development
- Social media amplification
- Eventbrite set up, when needed
- Post-event survey development
- Identifying opportunities for exhibiting and supporting exhibits
- Edit, format, coordinate materials, proofing, and scheduling
- Day-to-day implementation of CRM (EveryAction) transition, eventual management
- Management of state coordinator / liaison contact list
- Providing backend support for online course modules
- Providing backend support for headstart app if needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
As this is a work-from-home position, the Communications Associate must have the ability to work independently, diligently, and efficiently. This person should exemplify each of SHC’s core competencies: being a strong communicator, a team player, exceptionally organized, and self-directed.
Specific required qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, non-profit management, graphic design, business or related field preferred.
- At least two years of experience working in a role with similar responsibilities
- Experience with Google Suites and Canva (or other design programs)
- Experience managing websites, digital marketing, email platforms, and social media accounts
- Proven project management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to SHC’s mission and SHC’s advocacy principles.
- A high level of attention to detail, accuracy, and thoroughness.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- A demonstrated ability to handle a heavy workload, and achieve results, even in the face of obstacles, while displaying high standards of excellence and integrity.
- The ability to work independently and take initiative, while ensuring alignment and thriving as a collegial member of a small but mighty team.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary: $50,000-$60,000 annually
Benefits: Work from home; flexible work schedule; generous holiday, personal, and vacation leave; health insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; small, collegial team; many opportunities to use skills, learn, and grow professionally.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Associate,” by December 11th. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is identified.
- A cover letter specific to the duties and qualifications of this position;
- A current resume highlighting experience relevant to this position;
- At least one writing sample. This could include press releases, social media posts, articles, or newsletters.
- At least one design sample. This could include social media designs, reports, graphics, or web pages.
- At least two references.
ABOUT SCHOOLHOUSE CONNECTION
SHC is the nation’s leading expert on the early care and education of children and youth experiencing homelessness. We provide strategic advocacy and practical assistance in partnership with early childhood programs, schools, institutions of higher education, service providers, families, and youth. We have ushered to passage many critical policies and programs for children and youth experiencing homelessness, and provide extensive implementation assistance to ensure these policies lead to real outcomes.