Answer: For students who are in college and experiencing homelessness, the financial aid administrator must make a determination of their status as an unaccompanied homeless youth. Here is a good tool that NCHE made that financial aid administrators can use to make this determination. In addition, if the student is still in touch with a McKinney-Vento liaison or HUD or RHYA provider, those people can write letters for the youth, as long as they still have the necessary information to make a determination. The Application and Verification Guide (AVG) from the U.S. Department of Education notes, on pages 121-122, that FAAs should accept verifications from authorized parties, including liaisons. The AVG is available here.

Read more Q&A from Our Inbox

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This