Answer: Yes, the student can update the FAFSA.  This website has some great information, and it might be worth printing off this page and bringing it to the financial aid office, along with your unaccompanied youth verification letter:

The website indicates the following:

“There are certain items that you must update:

  • You must update anything that changes your dependency status (for instance, you are now pregnant or are now in legal guardianship) except a change in your marital status.”

The UAY determination is a change in dependency status, from dependent to independent.


“You can make changes in one of the following ways:

  • Make changes at
    1. Select the “LOG IN” button and enter your FSA ID.
    2. On the “My FAFSA” page, select “Make FAFSA Corrections.”
    3. Create a save key.
    4. Change your information.
    5. Submit your new information.
  • Write in the corrections or updates on your paper SAR, sign it, and mail it to the address provided on the SAR.
  • Check with the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend; the school might be able to make changes for you electronically.”

I would suggest the student change the information online and ALSO bring this webpage and your letter to the FAA to advocate for herself.  It would also be helpful, if staffing permits, to have someone accompany her.

Read more Q&A from Our Inbox

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This