On March 10, 71 U.S. Representatives signed a bipartisan “Dear Colleague” letter in support of funding for the McKinney-Vento Act’s Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program and the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act (RHYA) programs. To see if your U.S. Representative signed the letter, download it here.
We’ll be co-hosting a webinar with the National Network for Youth on April 1 to review legislation related to COVID-19, the FY21 budget, and other legislation related to homeless children and youth. Please register here.
On February 19, 2020, U.S. Representatives John Yarmuth (D-KY), Danny K. Davis (D-IL), and Don Bacon (R-NE) circulated a bipartisan “Dear Colleague Letter” requesting support for the McKinney-Vento Act’s Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) program and the Runaway and Homeless Youth Act (RHYA) programs in the FY2021 budget.
Dear Colleague Letters are requests from some members of Congress to other members of Congress, asking them to show support for certain federal programs. The number of Members who sign the letter indicates how much support the programs have, and can persuade leaders of the Appropriations Committees to increase funding.
This year, strong advocacy is needed. Public schools identified 1.5 million homeless children and youth in the 2017-2018 school year, which is an 11% increase over the previous year, and the highest number on record. Yet currently, less than one in four school districts receive direct support through the EHCY program, and RHYA shelters must turn away thousands of youth each year.
Please contact your U.S. Representative NOW to urge him or her to sign on to the Yarmuth/Davis/Bacon letter on funding for homeless children and youth programs by March 10th.
1. Use our easy online form – simply enter your zip code, edit the template letter, and your message will be sent.
2. Call your U.S. Representative.
- To find out who your U.S. Representative is, visit https://www.house.gov/representatives
- U.S. Representatives also may be reached through the U.S Capitol Switchboard at 202.224.3121.
- The Message: “Please sign on to the Yarmuth/Davis/Bacon Dear Colleague Letter in support of FY2021 Funding for Homeless Children and Youth.”
3. Please forward this action alert with networks, colleagues, and coalitions.
Thank you for your support of these vital programs!